To visit the United States on a temporary basis, a foreign citizen will need a non-immigrant visa. These types of visas are issued for many purposes, such as for tourists, students, individuals needing medical treatment, certain types of temporary work in this country, and more.

Types of Non-Immigrant Visas

Many types of non-immigrant visas exist under U.S. immigration law. The purpose of your travel to the U.S. will dictate what type you should apply for. Information about the type of non-immigrant visa you need will be helpful when you apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consul in your country. Certain visas, such as those involving temporary employment, will require labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor and / or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approval of certain forms, filed by your U.S. employer.

Examples of non-immigrant visa categories include (but are not limited to):

  • Business visitors
  • Crewmembers
  • Diplomats and government officials
  • Au pairs, nannies, and domestic employees
  • Exchange visitors
  • Athletes, artists, and entertainers
  • Visitors for medical treatment
  • International organization employees, such as NATO
  • NAFTA professional workers
  • Media journalists
  • Students
  • Temporary workers
  • Tourists
  • Religious workers
  • Those involved in specialty occupations with specialized knowledge

This list is not complete. If you have some other purpose for travel to the United States, contact us and we can advise you on the type of non-immigrant visa you will need, eligibility requirements, and the process involved to obtain one.

Contact Us

If you or someone you know needs to obtain a non-immigrant visa, contact The Law Office of Carolina C. Gomez to arrange for a consultation with an expert. Our firm is dedicated to providing you with the effective legal assistance you need to accomplish your goals.